Larry is Of Counsel at the firm and practices in the area of real estate law, as well as land use and governmental affairs. He has represented banks in real estate financings and has also served real estate clients on residential and commercial projects. Larry has expertise in representing many clients who are purchasing, selling or renovating high-end, high profile properties that have presented complex issues and require complex approvals. Larry has also represented companies and private equity firms in connection with acquisitions and divestitures, and has advised clients on corporate governance issues.
Some of Larry’s recent projects include:
- Representing the purchaser in the acquisition of the well-known Kennedy Green House, which is the historic 12-acre, eco-friendly, multi-building Bedford estate restored by environmentalist Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
- Representing the purchaser in the acquisition of one of Scarsdale’s largest residential properties and successfully challenging the Village’s attempt to declare the 100 year-old Georgian house an historic property that could not be altered or demolished.
- Representing the purchaser of a 104 year-old Bronxville estate home.
- Representing the owner of a 100 year-old waterfront estate on a Long Island peninsula that was designed by architect Stanford White and landscape designer Frederick Law Olmstead.
- Successfully representing the owner of a four-acre estate in his challenge of the Town’s wetlands mapping of the property, which would have limited the use of this high-end property.
His most recent land use work also includes winning approval for numerous complex demolitions and gaining permission for the construction of numerous buildings and structures by appearing before architectural review boards, planning boards, zoning boards of appeal and town boards. Larry was also notable in his successful application for a municipal annexation of a residential estate property that was located in one town and transferred into another, thus changing the town boundaries of two New York State municipalities, one of the first such residential annexations to occur in New York State during the last 50 years.
A frequent lecturer on governmental affairs and employment issues, Larry is chairman of the Westchester County Police Board and has been an adjunct professor at Fordham University and Dutchess Community College. He began his legal career at one of Manhattan’s largest law firms, served as a White House Intern and has counseled government officials throughout Westchester, New York City and New York State. An author of many articles on business and legal issues, Larry is a New York Times bestselling author of 14 books and was a contributing editor at U.S. News & World Report. He offers weekly commentary on Cablevision News 12 TV, which keeps him in contact with the top government officials in the region. Larry has served as legal commentator for WNBC and has appeared on “The Today Show” and PBS’ “Charlie Rose.” His corporate and legal research has appeared in USA Today and The Wall Street Journal.
Larry was awarded by Chief Justice Judith Kaye the Distinguished Service Award by the Tribune Society of the Unified Courts in the State of New York. He was honored, along with New York State Appellate Judge Sondra Miller, by the American Jewish Committee’s Judge Learned Hand Award, which is given each year to a distinguished judge or attorney by the 110 year-old organization.
- Harvard Law School, J.D.; 1988
- Princeton University, B.A.; 1983
- New York
Awards + Recognitions
- Pace University, Honorary Degree, LL.D.
- Dillard University, Honorary Degree, LL.D.
- Tribune Society, Unified Courts in the State of NY, Distinguished Service Award
- American Jewish Committee, Judge Learned Hand Award
- New York State Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
Presentations + Publications
U.S. News & World Report, Westchester Magazine, and Reader’s Digest
New York Times bestselling author of 14 nonfiction books published by HarperCollins Publishers, Simon & Schuster, John Wiley & Sons.
Author of numerous articles in The New York Times, New York Magazine, Chicago Tribune
Presentations at the Bar Association of the City of New York, Westchester Municipal Officials Association, Harvard Law School
Columnist, Journal News – Gannett Newspapers
Guest lecturer on corporate and legal issues at many institutions including: AT&T Annual Legal Conference, NAACP, Society for Human Resource Management, Japan Advertising Agencies Association, Yale University, New York State Bar Association.
- Westchester County Police Board, Chairman; 2000-present
- SUNY Purchase College Foundation, Board Member; 2008-present
- University of Pennsylvania, Board of Overseers; 2014-present
- Red Cross of Westchester, Former Board Member
- American Theater Wing, Trustee (Tony Awards Voter)
- Westchester County Association, Board Member; 2011-present
- Business Council of Westchester, Coalition for Business Development
- Princeton University, Alumni Council Executive Committee
- Member – Riverside Church in Manhattan; Grace Church; Sigma Pi Phi Boule
- Horace Mann School, Trustee; 2008-present
- Larry is an Adjunct Professor at Fordham University and Dutchess Community College.
- He is a lifelong Westchester resident and enjoys reading political biographies, renovating 19th century houses, and playing tennis and oboe.
- In addition to being the author of several nonfiction books, he has written for television and is a Tony voter.
- He is married to Pamela Thomas-Graham, a novelist and investment banker. They live in Chappaqua and Manhattan with their three children.