As lead counsel, Bill has handled complex projects comprising more than a million square feet and costing hundreds of millions of dollars. His extensive experience includes office buildings, multi-family housing, retail and entertainment centers, industrial and office parks, conference centers, academic complexes, religious centers, planned unit developments, skilled nursing homes, assisted living facilities, continuing care retirement communities, golf course communities and residential subdivisions. Bill also has handled due diligence reviews both for proposed and completed developments in connection with acquisitions and sales of property. His clients include institutional, corporate and municipal entities, as well as entrepreneurial individuals.
Additionally, Bill has published articles and lectured on zoning and land use issues before the New York State Bar Association, Westchester County Bar Association and Westchester Municipal Planning Federation, among others.
A strong believer in the importance of giving back to his community, Bill serves on several non-profit boards of directors, including White Plains Hospital Center and Hampshire College.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D.; 1980
- Hampshire College, B.A.; 1977
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
Awards + Recognitions
- Westfair Communications Persons of the Year; 2021
- SuperLawyers® New York Metro Edition; 2011-2021
- Honored by White Plains Hospital, Distinguished Leadership Award; 2019
- Honored by Gilda’s Club Westchester, Corporate Award; 2013
- AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- “Above the Bar” Award for “Most Socially Conscious Attorney” honoring exceptional Westchester County Attorneys, awarded by Westchester County Business Journal and Pace Law School; 2007
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Westchester Chapter, Bill and his wife Lauren Thaler were named Volunteers of the Year; 2006
- Honored by Congregation Sons of Israel, Briarcliff Manor, NY; 2002
- Honored by Gilda’s Club Westchester at its First Annual Comedy Club Gala; 1999
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who in the World
- Fellow, American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- New York State Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
Presentations + Publications
The Economics and Equity of Sustainable Development
December 8, 2016
LULA Training Program: Affordable Housing
October 28, 2016
“Special Use Permits,”
Vol. 12, No. 3, 1998
“Regulatory Thickets – What Are the Sign Posts?”
New York University, Continuing Legal Education Seminar on Senior Housing Issues
Westchester Municipal Planning Federation
“Modern Telecommunications and the Municipality,”
New York State Bar Association Annual Meeting, Municipal Law Section
“Local Cellular Telephone Regulation Moratoria“
New York Law Journal
Vol. 214, No. 4, July 7, 1995, p. 1, 38
- Montefiore Health Systems, Board member
- Hampshire College, Trustee, Member of Executive Committee, 2013-2021; Vice Chair; 2020-2021
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International, Westchester, N.Y. Chapter, President, 2004-2006; Board member, 1998-2003, 2004-2010
- Gilda’s Club Westchester, President, 2010-2013; Board member; 2001-2013
- White Plains Hospital Center, Board member, 2002-present; Chair of the Legal Committee, 2008-present; Vice Chair of the Board, 2011-present
- Briarcliff Manor Education Foundation, Board member; 2001-2003
- White Plains Bridge of Friendship Foundation, Inc., Board member; 1994-present
- In his spare time, Bill enjoys biking, hiking, sailing and cooking.
- He has two adult children and lives in Sleepy Hollow with his wife Lauren Thaler, who shares his love of travel.
- Together they have visited places as diverse as Costa Rica, Israel and Japan.
- Exotic locations serve as the perfect backdrop for Bill’s other favorite pastime — landscape photography.