Jennifer has also handled land use, SEQRA and municipal litigation and has argued cases in the Appellate Division and Court of Appeals. She served on the New York State Advisory Committee on Land Use Statutes during the major revision of those statutes in the state and served on the Governor’s Commission on Coastal Resources as Chair of the Committee on Growth Management.
She lectures widely on land development and environmental issues and frequently participates as an instructor in training programs for local legislative, zoning and planning board members.
- University of Virginia Law School, J.D.; 1971
- Vassar College, A.B.; 1968
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
Awards + Recognitions
- Super Lawyers® Upstate New York; 2010, 2012-2020
- Top 25: Women Upstate New York Super Lawyers
- Top 25: Hudson Valley Super Lawyers
- “AV” Preeminent rating (the highest available) from Martindale-Hubbell
- Designated by Martindale-Hubbell as “2013 Top-Rated lawyer in Land use and Zoning”
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Accredited Professional; 2009
- New York State Bar Association, Municipal and Environmental Sections
- US Green Building Council, New York Upstate Chapter
- Dutchess County Bar Association, Judiciary Committee Chair, 1991-1992; President, 1987-1988
Presentations + Publications
“SEQRA Reform – Changes to SEQRA Regulations and to SEQRA Forms”
NYS Bar Association, Annual Fall Meeting (Environmental/Municipal Law Sections), October 25, 2013
Alliance for Balance Growth SEQRA Summit, November 1, 2012 and September 24, 2013
“SEQR: Getting Ready for the new EAF”
NYS Bar Association, Environmental and Municipal Law Section, October 2011
“Avoiding Surprises During the Planning Process”
NYS Association of Professional Land Surveyors Annual Conference, January 2010, January 2011
“New SEQRA Regulations and Forms”
NYS Association of Professional Land Surveyors Annual Conference, January 2013
“Beyond the Stimulus Package–Funding Public Improvements in Hard Times,”
New York State Association of Towns Annual Meeting presentation to Town Attorneys, February 17, 2009
“New SEQRA Forms”
New York State Association of Towns Annual Meeting presentation to Town Attorneys, February 18, 2013
Orange County Planning Federation Training Program for Planning and Zoning Board members
2006 to 2013
Affordable Housing and Smart Growth, Dutchess County Bar Association Training Program
Comprehensive Planning and Smart Growth: Comprehensive Plan Compliance, Incentive Zoning, Transfer of Development Rights
Transfer of Development Rights, Dutchess County Planning Federation, Vassar College
- Legislative Action Committee, Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce, 2012-present
- Mid-Hudson Regional Economic Council workgroup on Industry Clusters (Professional and Financial Services) Fall, 2011
- American Heart Association, Dutchess Ulster “Go Red for Women” Executive Leadership Team, 2009-2010
- Dutchess County Economic Development Corporation, Board of Directors; 2004-2010
- Jennifer and her husband John reside in the foothills of the Catskills.
- They are members of the Order of Malta (maltausa.org), American Association, and active in the Order’s Prison Ministry.
- Jennifer appreciates coffees from small-batch roasters and enjoys exploring the latest brewing methods.
- She generally carts significant amounts of coffee-brewing paraphernalia even on vacations.
- Her other hobby is reading history and literature.
- In pursuing law, she set aside an initial inclination to pursue a graduate degree in history, so she enjoys reading history and biography from different historical periods, whether World War II in the Pacific or the last days of the Russian Czars.
- She also enjoys reading different translations of books like Dante’s Divine Comedy—the translator has a dramatic effect on the experience of the work.